Thursday, August 18, 2005

I've been tagged

In his quest to get me to create a blog Aaron tagged me with a quiz. In response I did not create a blog. Still trying, he tagged me yet again with another quiz. I gave in and the following is the result.

Number of books I own
700+
(Don't be fooled into thinking I am literate. Most of them are coloring books.)

Last book I bought:
E.E. Cummings Complete Poems--suggested reading by my hero Stephanie Strickland

Latest books I am reading:
While in Des Moines last week I read the fourth Harry Potter book, just wanted to get it out of the way before the movie came out. . . Now I am reading the fifth, I mean, now I have to know what happens.
Other summer reading: Cosmicomics by Italo Calvino, In Evil Hour by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, True North by Stephanie Strickland, Pale Fire by Nabokov, The Overcoat and Other Short Stories by Nikolai Gogol (despite the fact that a couple days after I picked it up it was at the top of the list on the Onion's trends that shape our world as "what we're not reading this summer") Oh and Sesame Street's Kooky, Spooky, Halloween! JUMBO Coloring & Activity Book.

Last book I read (and have finished):
Oops, I already answered that: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
And before that I finished three of the four Gogol stories. I think I am finished with that one for now. . .

Five Books that mean a lot to me: I really tried but I can't only do five, plus since my blog is new I am doing what I want. And it's a good way to get to know me, err my reading habits anyway. . . So I broke it down into genres.

Novels:
Cat's Cradle, my first Vonnegut
The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut
If On A Winter's Night A Traveler by Italo Calvino

Short Story Collections:
Lizard by Banana Yoshimoto
The Roald Dahl Omnibus
Cosmicomics, Calvino
Welcome to the Monkey House, Vonnegut

Poetry:
Wallace Stevens Collected Poetry & Prose
Selected Poems by Robert Creeley
George Oppen's New Collected Poems
Lorine Niedecker's Collected Works

Children's Books:
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
The Witches by Roald Dahl (for anyone who is a fan of Dahl's children books I recommend checking out his adult fiction, it's swell.)
A Light In the Attic by Shel Silverstein

Nonfiction:
Six Memos for the Next Millennium by Calvino
Edith Hamilton's Mythology
Field Guide to Birds of North America

Graphic Novels:
Goodbye Chunky Rice by Craig Thompson
Maus (I & II) by Art Spiegelman

Tag Five People:
hmm I am new to this thing, I don't know how to do the fancy link trick like Aaron did, so if these five people read my blog they can do the quiz in their blogs--but don't cheat like I did.
Kay
Sean
John
Jeauxoxox

p.s. actually I just figured out the fancy link trick as you can see at the top of this post, but I am far too lazy to link everyone right now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

Your summer reading list is a dense one. Wading through Marquez, Calvino, and Nabokov in a single summer (don't know the other two except by name) would have been one of the labors of Hercules.

More power to you, but SHAZAM!

Welcome to the happy world of blogs. I too was sucked into this netherworld by Aaron (via Dan Hylton). The Bastards.

August 18, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home