Sunday, February 12, 2006

"These are not the bikes you're looking for. Move along"

No one quotes Obi Wan like Ewan. I just finished watching Long Way Round with Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman. Totally worth the 2 years of anticipation. It was just great. If you haven't seen it, track it down and watch it.

Also this past week, I watched the Maya Lin documentary A Strong Clear Vision. Seeing both of these documentaries in such proximity of time reinforced how important I feel it is that my father visit the Vietnam Memorial and soon. When I was back home for Christmas break he shared much more about his experiences than he ever had before. He has also recently met a fellow vet who is in a group of bikers that travel to the memorial every year. I hope that he does whatever he can to make that trip in the next couple of years. It just seems like the best way for him to make the journey. I know that when he has talked about going before he wanted to go alone, which I think was a scary thought for my mother. I understand her wanting to be there for him and the other reservations she had about him going without her. At the same time I understand his side. It really needs to be his trip. I think going with the other motorcyclists would be a great opportunity. He would have the commradarie of travel mates but also the kind of mental solitude such a trip really deserves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home