Tuesday, October 25, 2005

you say goodbye and i say hello

I have officially completed the Neruda portion of this graduate lit seminar. Blar. I have never been more ashamed of writing such an awful, awful paper. But it's done. So what am I doing now? Well, we have one last night of discussing Neruda tonight and then we move on to Cheslaw Milosz.

I have flagged all the poems that we are discussing for the rest of the semester and written down the questions I have to answer for next week's assignment. The trouble with these assingments is that I end up chasing ideas in so many different directions that I can never find a thread that I can follow, you know along with the fact that I just have no time to do so. But somehow, I have to overcome this dilemna, luckily the weekly assignment has been halved in size, phew. That should help a little. I think another problem is that I tend to look at the assignments before I read the poetry, so I end up only looking for specific things in the work. Somehow I need to bind and gag the taskmaster in me who always wants to get busy work out of the way, because she is tripping me up a bit too. Even if it drives me insane and I never have any free time I will find a way to actually do research for my next big paper in advance. I swear. Besides, I get to do a presentation with this one and that always motivates me more than simply writing papers.

In other news, I am loving my craft class. Serial Poem is the best. I heart Jack Spicer and I hearted Nathaniel Mackey too. I love the freedom I feel when I am working on my project, though it's hard to keep my grubby little mfa-er hands off it.

It may just be the fact that I have had little food and no sleep in the last 32 hours, but I am totally pumped about school right now. That just does not seem like the appropriate state of mind after an all-nighter. I think the right state of mind would be comatose. But I do need to make it through night class, so I won't complain.

Plus, the SOX are playing tonight. And since I am the center of the universe they will win, because whomever I cheer for always wins. I love being the center of the universe. life is great and I am effing adorable to boot, so there.


end transmission

5 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

Could you do me a favor then, and start cheering for the Vikings?

October 27, 2005  
Blogger Aaron said...

Oh, and for me in my fight to get Elsa to nap.

October 27, 2005  
Blogger Aaron said...

Oh, and for me to win at poker.

October 27, 2005  
Blogger Aaron said...

And Powerball.

-thanks

October 27, 2005  
Blogger Amanda said...

Aaron,
I think you're being a little greedy. Right now I am trying to root for myself to make it through this semester. I have been such a bad student and professor this fall. For the last couple of weeks at least that is partly because so much energy has gone into being a fan. (I just apologized to my students for being such a bad instructor and promised them I would be much better now that the season is over. They were very sweet and reassuring.) But I will do what I can for some of your requests.
--your ever loving little sis

October 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home