Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Bragging Rights

I rarely flaunt my accomplishments, but something recently happened that I just have to share. I was nominated for an Excellence in Teaching award. I have only been teaching for three semesters, but nothing in my life has felt so natural. What makes the nomination feel really great is that I have only had a total of about 30 students in those three semesters, and one of them took the time to write up a nomination for me. I got similar warm fuzzies when six of them sought me out for a second semester of composition. I know people always say they are happy to just be nominated for such things, and now I know what they mean. The fact that it came from a student though is what makes it so special.

As natural as teaching feels though, it's strange how awful I have gotten at giving presentations as a student. I used to be good at presentations--really good. Despite my quiet manner and all around anti-social way of life I have always been really good at getting up in front of people and being an expert. But yesterday I blew it, big time. Ick. Luckily I know that I'm not that big of an ass in the classes I teach. Hey, I have the nomination to prove it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brandi said...

Congrats, sweetie, that's wonderful!!

March 31, 2006  
Blogger Amanda said...

Awww, thanks. I am pretty excited.
see ya in class!

April 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home