Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Hmmm, I haven't done a meme in a while OR What a girl needs, What a girl wants

Here's the deal: google your name and the word needs and post the first ten results. For example:

"Amanda needs"
Amanda needs a mom in her corner
Amanda needs her local food bank to put food on the table
Amanda needs to read Barbara Bush's speech to Wellesley graduates
Amanda needs a wise friend to tell her that this too shall pass
AMANDA needs to be rebuilt
AMANDA needs changes to the network service
Amanda - needs gnutar?
Amanda needs a family
Amanda needs a small config change
Amanda needs to be loved

Plus, Amanda needs to avoid dairy

alright I cheated I did 11, but come on, it said "plus"

So then I modified it, Christmas is coming and everyone is asking what I want, so according to Google here's my wishlist:


Amanda wants to be a cat
Amanda wants more…not less
amanda wants to be one of these strange pathetic lady creatures that goes "poot" when she gets angry
Amanda Wants To Party.
Amanda wants to make sure that she doesn’t miss the fauvist art exhibit at the museum
what Amanda wants is a life pretty similar to the one she and her parents have now
Amanda wants to be just like her big brother Oliver
Amanda wants to do it
Amanda wants to know why Sheena
Amanda wants to know where Sheena is -- she didn't get to thank her

Well that started out cool, but ended totally eerie. This summer my friend Sheena took her own life. I didn't know her that well, but she worked for me at the library and I adored her. She was from the Chicago area and was so happy for me to be moving here. We kept in touch off and on and honestly I was really looking forward to getting to see her here in Chicago last summer. But at the school year's end she was gone. I am still not really over it, I mean it's not like I deal with the idea all the time, but I do think of her often. And I just don't understand. So, I guess now I will thank her for all the things she told me about Chicago, and telling me how much I would love it. I had my doubts, but you were right.
thanks Sheena.

And I guess while I am thinking of googlisms and how the wrong people seem to go too quickly another strange story.
The first blog I ever read was my brothers, and he would often reference Jaq. So, Jaq's was the second blog I ever read. Lately I have not been reading the right blogs--but more on that another time. Over the last couple of years I have stopped in to read Byzantium's Shores, and I was always particularly touched by his posts about his son, Quinn. Well, two weeks ago yesterday, I was checking in on my bro who had not posted in a long while, and I learned of young Quinn's death. I balled for two hours in my office. I had planned on telling Kelly how sorry I was for his loss, but I couldn't find words for it. That night I tried looking up an article for my Milosz paper, called "The World, Again" I remembered one of the author's last names was Quinn, probably because of the news that afternoon of Little Quinn's passing. Anyway, I googled "'The world, again' Quinn". The first hit was Kelly's blog. That was too much. The crying started all over again.

So now, quite belatedly, I'd like to tell Kelly and family how very sorry I am for their loss. Although I don't know him personally, I have always been intrigued by his blogging, it's a model for the type of blog I should read more often.


P.S. I've now decided not only does fate act in strange ways, but so does Google

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home